Little Kelham is lucky enough to have both Green Lane Works and Eagle Works as part of the site and we are keen to maintain links with Kelham’s industrial past.
It’s vital to bring forward the best elements of the past and breathe new life into older buildings to make them relevant to new generations.
We are 100% committed to conserving these beautiful structures so that they can once again live at the heart of the community.
World’s Fair Newspaper on 5th Feb 1916 tells of an elephant working for one of Sheffield’s firms:
“striding along with ease drawing a load of iron to a munitions works”.
Lizzie, the legendary elephant was purchased to replace horses conscripted by the military.
Built in 1835, Eagle Works was used to make files and refine steel. In 1864 WK Peace & Co decided to leave the site and move across the River Don to a new factory. They took the Eagle Works name with them, the old site was renamed Horseman Works, later becoming part of Globe Steel Works.
03 July 2017
The Little Kelham blog has been a really good way of updating people about the development as it progresses as well as highlighting some of the things happening in and around the neighbourhood. But in the coming weeks you’ll notice a change in ...Read More